Friday, October 14, 2011

FRIDAY-Bags are packed!

And when I say bags are packed, I mean two backpacks with two daybags. That's it.

We're doing the Rick Steves method in Great Britain, just enough clothes for 5 days or so and traveling light at fast :)  We drop off our clothes at launderettes as needed. Our rail passes are open passes for any time in the next two months. Our officially booked tours are ones we really can't miss out on, but few. And our shopping will all be shipped home.

Incredible freedom.

It comes with a bit of worry (do I really have what I'll need?), but when you think about what you really _need_ to enjoy a trip, it's not much. And most needs we'll get at stores there if we've forgotten something. As I heard Mr. Steves say on PBS once, "You'll never hear a seasoned traveler say, 'I've been traveling overseas for 10 years, and I bring more luggage every time!'"

Those who know me know that I have a bit of anxiety leading up to any vacation, overseas or otherwise. It's mostly due to thinking about what I'm missing here: a fantastic last two weeks of Iowa October, work decisions I'm going to miss out on, thinking about our house burning down or being attacked by aliens from outerspace, and of course, Martha & Ginger, our kitties.

But we've got an excellent person to watch our house and our kitties the whole time we're gone. We've got a super-freeing strategy to enjoy our time, and if you know me well, you know that the chilly, dank, foggy, drizzly, overcast autumn I'm sure to experience at least a few days in Great Britain, are going to be right up my alley!

Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment